Monday, November 06, 2006

the stretch zone

and no I am not talking about lunchtime Pilates !

I guess there is a problem that if you examine the ground right in front of your feet too closely, or spend too much time looking to where you have been rather than where you are going, the path becomes centered there, rather than forward, and the journey grinds to a halt :s

I wanted to write something about peeling away layers. Michelangelo said that in creating his statue of David, the block of stone already contained the statue and his role was merely to chip away the unnecessary stone.

In a similar way I feel I have built up a layer around me that I need to chip away to rediscover my true self. But in examining that thought I definately started looking too closely at the ground by my feet :rolleyes:

For a long while my path has been a shared one. So in the same way as you might when out on a bicycle or horse ride, you check direction, speed, etc Then at regular intervals I would "check in". But now there is no one to check in with. That is both liberating and scary ! I don't have to confine my path to some place that suits another person. But at the same time, I don't have another pair of eyes watching out for losing my/our way.

I've done one hundred and one profiles in my working career. One of which said, among others things, that I plan in order to be spontaneous. (!) There is/was a Unilever concept of "liberating disciple" (The full set, non-UK style, was "single-minded passion for winning, liberating rigor and connected creativity"). I guess "plan to be spontaneous" is another way of describing liberating discipline. i.e. by having 80-90% planned and controlled, you are free to be creative with the rest.

The problem with my current "unknown path" is that it is way less than 80-90 % under control or planned, and that makes me feel uncomfortable. Definately in my stretch zone !

The question is whether I have the nerve to stay out in my stretch zone for any length of time... I guess you'll just have to watch this space !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home