Wednesday, November 22, 2006

tolerance

"the power or capacity of an organism to tolerate unfavorable environmental conditions"

and risk tolerance is "a person's comfort level to different levels of risk "

Risk tolerance varies with a number of factors, but your ability to cope with a particular stressor depends on how much of your capacity for risk has been used up on other things, as risk is a cumulative thing, rather than dealing with each risk in isolation.

So where is this taking me ?

Well sitting on the train home I realised that even if my risk tolerance has not changed much, my cumulative risk has, as a large stressor (6ft4, male, with mental health issues) has gone from that equation.

Living with someone with mental health issues takes up a large amount of a person's capacity/tolerance for stress and/or risk..

So while right now I still feel very much in recovery mode, I could actually consider opportunities that before were not tenable. Not just because those opportunities were not consistent with our shared path, but because of the sudden freeing up of a whole chunk of my capacity for risk !

I'm not about to start doing crazy thing, but I could if I wanted to ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home