Friday, December 15, 2006

break up songs

realised that while I was filling in the gaps, I ought to comment on "break up" sonds. Every break up seems to (in my experience) have a song related to it.

One of previous break ups happened just as Sinnead O'Connor had "Nothing Compares 2 U" out. It was in the days before downloads and CDs. I taped it and posted it to my ex to arrive 15 days after we split up. And that was a mututally agreed amicable split (we're still friends - despite sending him the song ;-) )

This time around, I already had tickets to see Kate Rusby shortly after he went. I was not sure whether to go, and what to do with the spare ticket, but my mother bravely volunteered to come along. During the set she played a song called "No Names", which tore right into me and had me sobbing in my seat. The refrain is "let me go now, let me go" and there are other lines

How it came to this, I'm not clear,
Long and lonely nights now I fear

and

We were drifting, year after year,
When we tried our best to fly, my dear

Its not that a break up song has to exactly describe your situation, how you feel etc. It just has to have that feel, that certain something that sums it up.

I emailed this break up track to LCT but to his work email rather than home - perhaps another of thise freudian slips - and have no idea if he ever recieved it as he has never replied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home