Friday, April 27, 2007

ch...ch..ch...changes

It seems sayings are like buses, wait for one and a whole load come along ;)

I was looking for something on change (the "winds of change" one below) and found a whole load that interested me.

"Unless we change direction, we are likely to end up where we are going" (Chinese Proverb)

It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones who are most responsive to change (Charles Darwin)

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get (anonymous)

(And the one I was looking for: When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills - another Chinese proverb)

What I was wanting to talk about is how sometimes a small change can help you break a pattern, a habut, a "rut" you have become comfortable in.

This may be as simple as sleeping on the other side of the bed, crossing your arms (or legs) the "other" way. In my case it was an equally trivial thing - after a conversation about style of underwear (Bridget Jones's dilemma), I figured it would be interesring to try a style I have never tried before (being a function over form kind of person - plus for 11 years the only person who saw my underwear was the LCT).

Being newly single, there is that sudden thought that perhaps someone new, someone who has not known me for umpty years, might actually have an interest in my underwear :O The "slinky PJs" previously bought *were* symbolic and a step forwards - but that was more about ownership than wear. Could I take this a step further and not only be the kind of person who *owns* slinky PJs, but also the kind of person who *wears* more than one style of underwear. Variety is the spice of life n all that.

Interesting how much that small change affects a person....

I'll have to have a think about what other ruts I have got too comfortable in for no logical reason ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home